Labels

Friday, April 30, 2010

Almost one, how did that happen?


May 13, 2009 was a day that changed our family forever. It was the day our youngest son Elijah was born. He was born weighing 10 lbs 13 oz and had a pouty lip like I had never seen before.
I had been tested for Group B strep and was negative, but strangely Elijah was born infected with this bacteria. He was very sick, his blood was infected and he had also contracted pneumonia from inhaling meconium. We were told he was on death's doorstep and the hospital priest came into his private room to pray with us because his chances of survival were so slim.
After 5 days on a ventilator he miraculously was taken off and for the next few days he continued to improve and was released on the 12th day.
We have always considered our children to be blessings from God, but Elijah's birth experience has made us cherish every moment we have with our children. I look at little Eli now and can't believe he is the same baby that we almost lost. He is so strong and has such an interesting personality. It's almost as if he knows something we don't, an old soul if you will. It was a rough year and it seemed to pass so slowly when I was living it, but now I look back and think "What happened?, How did we get here? Where did the time go?" I am not sure where the time went, but I feel more blessed than ever to have my 3 wonderful, healthy blessings.

3 comments:

  1. I knew there was serious complications, but I didn't know it was that bad. Thank God it all turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was that serious. We were kind of left in the dark a bit when it was really bad because they didn't want us to give up hope and stop bonding with him. Touch and sound is very important to newborns, I would like to think that our touch and the sounds of our voices helped him in his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete